VNC (Virtual Network Computing) question

Ed Jones home-fedora at edjones.org
Fri May 14 09:51:59 UTC 2004

As Trond says, VNC is pretty insecure - it's really not worth risking doing
it directly.

VNC uses ports 5801 upwards (depending on how many virtual consoles you're
running) - so if you want to give it a try, open port 5801 on your firewall
or doing some port forwarding if you need to. It's a pretty bad idea,
though.

A better way would be to run specific applications through SSH (if your
client machine is a linux box with an X server) or by opening a VPN tunnel
into the network on which the VNC server sits.

Ed