single linux box on dsl?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Fri May 14 12:56:34 UTC 2004

From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>
> Thanks to all of you... this has been a very educational thread for me.
Can
> someone point me to a beginner's guide to X Forwarding, particularly
> through SSH? I keep hearing that X can display the results/output of a
> program on another machine, and that this can be tunneled through SSH.
> Great, fine, I get it... and I'd *love* to do it. Yet I can't seem to find
> a HOWTO that will explain the how and the why to me...

I'm curious why anybody would want to do X forwarding when it seems to me
that VNC would be faster and easier, not to mention more robust (if the
network connection dies, the session is still there on the server, waiting
for me).

Am I missing something?  Is X forwarding better than VNC in some way?

Thanks!

Ben