VNC (Virtual Network Computing) question

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri May 14 14:52:19 UTC 2004

A couple of issues with VNC.
In my class, I have a Red Hat 9 and Fedora machine setup with
tightvnc, and have about 20 VNC sessions configured. There is
almost no load on the server when not in use, and very little when in
use. Only exception was the redhat-applet that was checking for
updates, after a reboot, it would be using a couple percentages for
each session, so I removed it, but use synaptic to keep machine
updated.

The Red Hat machine has tightvnc, which was better than the
original one installed as to CPU %, and the Desktop sharing options
worked, but had a hugh CPU %. I also setup the VNCSERVERS in
the /etc/sysconfig to automatically start the vnc at boot, and have
stunnel run from rc.local at boot, so I can have secure connections.
The users do have to log in once to setup the vncserver to setup the
port and password, and uncomment the two lines in the
.vnc/xstartup file for the fedora to get it to work as a full session. I
use the stunnel option to secure the connection.

At one point, the whole class was connected with 20 machines to
the Red Hat machine thru the 100MB connection. Just showed that
it worked.