camera revisited

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 14 16:42:44 UTC 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 10:55, Mark Lanett wrote:
>> tree.  In fact, maybe that is something I should add -- if you
>> want the latest and greatest, the first stop should perhaps be the
>> development tree
>
>/
>
>> FC2 Test series.
>
>I've installed a kernel from FC2, 2.6.5-1.385 I think, into an FC1
> system, and failed to boot. Should it normally work? I tried it on
> a real computer and a VMware session and both failed. I forget
> where the problem was, alas - not in front of me right now.
>
>~mark

FC1 is by default, setup for kernels in the late 2.4 family, and the
modprobe controlling stuff will need updateing before a 2.6 kernel
will work.  Follow the instructions in the tarball EXACTLY.  I'm not
quoting the tarballs name because I cannot recall it ATM, but
module-init-tools-3.0 comes to mind.  That may not be exact :(

Basicly, all the stuff in there for that, like insmod, rmmod, modprobe
etc get renamed to insmod.old.  So the new version is called first,
and if it fails, it calls the old version, so its compatible with
both kernel series when you are done.

I don't know if there is an rpm that will do all that for us or not.
If there is, I just *know* somebody will correct me. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)