single linux box on dsl?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri May 14 17:19:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Guy Fraser wrote:

> I recently got a FreeBSD 5.2 box to forward X to my FC1 box.
> I had struggled with that box for some time and could not figure out why
> it was not working. I have other FreeBSD boxes that forward X quite
> well. Finally a couple of days ago I decided to install a complete XF86
> setup rather than just the libs. Killed sshd started sshd then logged
> out. After
> logging back in I could run nedit and it worked.

Most likely you did not have 'xauth' installed on the remote
machine. Without this - ssh-xforwarding doesn't work.

> I have on occasion come across a machine or two that required the
> environment variable 'DISPLAY' to be set and exported in
> .bash_profile like this :
>
> export DISPLAY='localhost:0.0'
>
> I don't know if DISPLAY=':0.0' would work or not, because I didn't try.

Yeah the DISPLAY env variable needs to be set to a 'working' value
before ssh can forward it (it also needs to forward 'xauth' for this
display value correclty). And with cygwin-shell - it is usually not
set.

Satish