pcmcia issues/Xircom/D-Link

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat May 15 01:42:38 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>I have a Dell Latitude CPx laptop loaded with FC1 latest patches.
>
>Previously posted regarding the D-Link DWL-650 card (no luck there
>yet).
>
>Ran into another odd one.  Last night when I loaded the system I popped
>my Xircom card into the pcmcia slot and everything configured and setup
>correctly.  Was then able to apply the patches.
>
>After reboot I was not able to get on the network.  More to the point
>the card appeared to be configured, had pulled an IP address and was
>marked active but it would not talk on the network.  Nothing out and
>nothing in.  Link integrity to the switch showed good.
>
>Just now I shutdown, pulled the card, booted up, inserted the card, and
>now it works.
>
>I vaguely recall a something from the list regarding a similar problem
>but have not been able to find it.  The only hint I have is that it
>appears the interface tries to come up before the pcmcia stuff is
>initialized during start up.  At least that is what the messages look
>like.  Tried to confirm that by going through the boot.log and dmesg but
>those do not appear to have the full startup sequence.
>
>What is interesting is that the card appears to get DHCP information but
>after that it does not pass any information.

If you look in /etc/rc5.d, what are the numbers associated with network
and pcmcia?
On mine by default the network is S10 and the pcmcia is S24.  This means
that the network using a pcmcpa card cannot work on boot.
If you change the numbers to have the pcmcia services start before the
network starts it will solve your problem.