Recommendation: Proxima Orinoco 802.11a/b/g gold combocard?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun May 16 17:15:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Since I am not having much luck with the D-link DWL-G650 or the Linksys
> WPC54G wireless cards with FC1 I figure I should get a recommendation
> for something that works.
>
> Was looking at the Proxima Orinoco 802.11a/b/g gold combocard.  Has
> anyone used this with FC1?  Does it have any restrictions?  (will it
> work with monitoring software?)

Can you do lspci on the 'dlink' and see what it says? I've seen
some remark it as atheros - and some as prism. Does it have '802.11a'?

Usually 802.11a supported cards are atheros chipset based. With
atheros - there is a chance that you can get it working with madwifi
driver.

I use a mini-pci card 'IBM a/b' with I believe has an atheros 5211
chipset.  The a/b/g cards could be Atheros 5212 chipset.

One way to find this info is with 'lspci'. I get
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5211 802.11ab NIC (rev 01)

I used to get numeric nubers here (which could be matched with entries
in the madwifi source). Do'nt know who does the translation now ..

02:02.0 Class 0200: 168c:0012 (rev 01)

Satish