Installation problem

Avery schrock at dayzed.com
Sun May 16 20:22:54 UTC 2004

Tarek,

100mb for the boot partition is normal. You will never need more than 100mb. Questions I
have, what is your hardware specs? Also there are several methods for installing fedora
http, ftp, hard drive, etc. Create a partition say 3 gigs on your hard disk that is
fat32 not NTFS and put the iso files in this partition. Then use the 1st cd you have and
boot into the installer. Type in "linux askmethod" without the quotes. It will ask you
language and all that jazz. When you get to the part that asks you the installation
method select hard drive. You will then be prompted with a screen asking you to select
the partion with the iso files. if you didnt put these files in a folder then you will
need to enter nothing more.

Let me know how this works for you.

good luck,
Avery

Tarek M. Nabil said:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm completely new to both Linux and Fedora, so please bear with me.
>
> I downloaded the latest version from one of the mirrors, did the md5sum
> check, burned the iso images to 3 CDs and even did the mediacheck against
> the CDs and it seems that everything is Ok.
> I already have Win2K on my machine, so I deleted one of the partitions,
> which was 14 gega to install linux. The partition I deleted is located at
> the end of the disk, cause I thought that the constraint that the /boot
> partition should be placed in the first X cylinders no longer holds, but
> maybe I'm wrong.
> I started the installation, and used the automatic partition option. I found
> that the installer has created a 102 MB for /boot, 1.7GB for swap and the
> rest of the 14GB for /. I thought that must be ok.
> When I continued with the installation, I got a warning that my boot
> partition might be incompatible with the constrains of my architecture?! Is
> this the cylinders problem? I don't know.
> Anyway, I ignored the problem, but then I got this error when the installer
> was copying the install image to the hard disk:
>
> An error occurred transferring the install image to your hard drive. You are
> probably out of disk space.
>
> I cannot claim to understand the error. But I thought maybe the 102 MB for
> the /boot was too small, so I restarted the installation, and this time used
> DRUID to do the partitions myself and gave the /boot partition 640MB (don't
> ask me why :). Anyway, the error remained.
>
> Can someone please help with this. I'm really interested in Linux and want
> to continue what I started.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tarek Nabil
>

> --