help Stuck!!!

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun May 16 20:25:54 UTC 2004

M. Calvin Kashevarof wrote:
> I've been usinge fedora for a couple months now and got bored and
> changed my security settings and changed my login to gnome login
> and now i cant sign in. it says authentication failed i changed my
> password as superuser and it still says authentication failed.
> i dont know what security tabs i pushed either????? help i need to
> get back in my accounts!!

DON'T PANIC!

So you can get in as root, but not as yourself.

Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2. You'll get a text login.

Can you login as yourself there?

Do you know about the su- command? If your username is calvin, you can
type in
su - calvin
when you are root. It should log you into the calvin account without
asking for passwords. Does that work?

Can you post the results of
find /etc -mtime -2
which should tell you which configuration files changed in the past two
days.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "Microwave oven?  Whaddya mean, it's a microwave
westexe.demon.co.uk    | oven?  I've been watching Channel 4 on the thing