Headless dedicated server running FC1, how do I get FC2?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 17 01:47:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 19:40, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:35:07AM +1000, Bill Williamson wrote:
> > Is there a supported or suggested upgrade procedure for people who don't
> > have physical access to their FC1 box, or are we stuck praying nothing
>
> Really, there's not. Is there any on-site maintenance? Were I in this
> situation, I'd leave the box at FC1 rather than attempting a yum or apt
> upgrade.

Not sure if this would work for fedora but it did work for a firmware
and OS upgrade on a Nokia 330 box.  (actually on a large number of
them).  I arranged with people on site to connect a laptop running VNC
to the serial console of the Nokia 330 box.  Ran hypertemrinal on the
laptop to connect to the Nokia 330.   From there I was able to perform
upgrades to the both the systems firmware and OS.  This required going
to single user mode a couple of times during the upgrade.

For fedora I would expect you may want to get a set of CD's to the
location and have the onsite people swap them as needed.  But you should
be able to drive it from a serial console via VNC on the laptop.

The sites the equipment was located in were IDCs all over the world.
Unless you have equipment in a totally dark location there should be
someone that can act as a pair of hands to connect things up for you.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>