camera revisited

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 17 09:14:12 UTC 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 01:38, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 12:14, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >I experienced something similar yesterday on a machine here: I
>> > had to fall back to kernel -322 in order to get usb storage
>> > working again.
>>
>> Thats a 2.4 series kernel, right?  I'm running 2.6.5-mm6 or
>> higher.
>
>Just my 2c, I have a sony 3.2 cybershot p-52. When I upgraded my
> kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 the camera no longer loaded as removable
> storage. The reason for this in my case was because you need to set
> the camera to PTP mode and then use gtkam, It is a bit wierd but
> this applies both in MDK10 and FC2. I just assume some where
> some-one has planned it this way.
>Anybody?
>--
>Chadley - Linux Rocks
>Welcome to my world.

I looked at gtkam, but AFAIK, this Olympus C-3020Z wouldn't know what
PTP was if it was bitten by it.  Even its vfat is buggy in that if
the camera is full, one MUST copy out and remove the pix in reverse
order of their being taken, else the file structure in the card
becomes broken and the card becomes read-only.  The bug is that if
the first few pix have bene copied out and deleted, the next dir
listing stops at the end of a sector containing all deleted entries!
So you have to do your housekeeping from the far end of the directory
file back toward the start.

However, once I had restored the availability of sd_mod in the
kernels .config, and rebuilt it yet again, its all working as before
with a "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera".  This is kernel
2.6.6-mm2 with the bk-input.patch backed out.  Uptime 2d+5 hrs,
stable so far.

I didn't even get to the point in gtkam's config to even realise I had
to modify the cameras protocol.  I just tried it again, and the
message is "could not initialize camera".  As that things a battery
hog, I just shut it back off.  FWIW, I don't recall the PTP mode
being mentioned in the rather thick manual accompanying it.

Thanks for the reply, and maybe I've furnished some clues to you as to
howto do it.  usb-storage apparently needs the scsi disk support
available in the kernel's build or in the /lib/modules/kernel.version
tree.

Now however, I have another problem.  automount, since its now
running, has an exclusive lock on the /misc directory, and thats
hiding about 3 gigs worth of data I have in various subdirs of /misc
from me.  Is this its normal behaviour?  A service autofs stop
restores my access to that data.

Does hotplug require autofs to be running?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)