MySQL 4.0.x

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 17 13:44:28 UTC 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 09:13, Mark A. Hoover wrote:
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> > I have just recently posted a similar request and I guess the
>> > Fedora steering committee must finally take up it's
>> > resposibility for a community driven project and accept that
>> > they need to have a separate MySQL package for Fedora and RHEL.
>> > BTW, I very much doubt that people buying RHEL are happy with
>> > this archaic MySQL version either.
>> >
>> > Tom
>>
>> Oh, please!
>>
>> Do you think complaining to Red Hat about MySQL is going to change
>> MySQL's licensing? The reported exception has been found to be
>> insufficient. Until that changes, MySQL has licensed themselves
>> into obscurity, just like XFree86 has. Game Over. Use postgres.
>
>Given that it's RedHat that seems to have the issue with the
> licensing, I personally don't see the problem with complaining to
> RedHat about it.  I just checked SuSE's site and they don't seem to
> have any qualms whatsoever about providing the 4.x RPMS within
> their distribution that last I checked they were also selling
> commercially.

Yup, and please take note that SuSe doesn't have to contend with the
USian legal attitude re patents and copyrights.  Until we do like
Bill S. said 400 some years ago, "First, we kill all the lawyers",
that situation isn't going to change.

If you don't like it, get the law changed here in the US.  As is, its
way the hell and gone too onerous to even consider MySQL-4.0's
inclusion in any US based distro whose big enough to have consulted a
lawyer about it.

In the meantime, this list is getting tired of the whineing about it,
particularly when the whines should be directed not to RH, but to
your congress critters...  In other words, stfu.  And start
supporting postgresql, it works just fine.

Next subject PLEASE!

>I think it's about time that RedHat and the mySQL people stop
> playing the blame game and come up with an agreeable compromise.
> The fact that it's been over a year and this still hasn't been
> fixed unconscionable.

Like I said, fix your congress critter, either by changing his mind,
or the name on the desk...  November is comeing you know.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)