Problems getting 2 NICs to work.

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon May 17 15:50:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 09:28 -0400, Kevin Kimmell wrote:
> As soon as this is activated, networking stops functioning. I can't ping
> in or out. Am I missing some key step? I know that it works becasue I'm
> running a firewall on another machine that's running a 2.4.20 kernel and
> it was autoconfigured and it's functioning properly.

One of the interfaces work and the other not?

Have you tried:
  a) configuring eth0 only and connect both cables
  b) ping some external IP: ping IP  (don't use -I)
  c) remove cable from 1st interface
  c) does the 2sn interface lit up?
  d) is the ping still working?

It could be a case of a dual ethernet card working as a failover, so if
1st interface works, then the second isn't needed.

This probably happens due to both interfaces being in the same logical
and physical net...

Rui