problem with up2date

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon May 17 15:58:22 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 17.05.2004 schrieb Earl Eiland um 17:10:

> filesystem	size	used	avail	use%	mounted on
> /dev/sda2	3.4G	3.3G	0	100%	/
> /dev/sda1	99M	8.4M	86M	9%	/boot
> none		125M	0	125M	0%	/dev/shm
>
> Well, that shows the problem, alright.  I can't imagine why sda2 is
> full, though.  All I've done is install fedora and run up2date!

Check your /var/log directory. Most often such trouble comes because one
logfile got a huge size. On the other side maybe your hard drive space
was poor already before the intended update and the download of the
packages made it complete 100%. So "du -sh /var/spool/up2date" will show
you the used space in the up2date spool directory.

> What is yum,a replacement for up2date?  Where can I find out about it?
> earl

yum is no replacement but a different tool to handle updating packages
or installing packages online while the tools takes care for
dependencies. Its a base tool coming with Fedora Core.

man yum

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 17:54:00 up 4 days, 15:38, load average: 0.35, 0.25, 0.15
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]