Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a Good Thing [tm]

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Mon May 17 16:29:33 UTC 2004

On May 17, 2004 10:27 am, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 10:23 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > them to open-source their code. I am willing to buy those arguments as
> > being reasonable; so while I would *prefer* open-source and RPM, I can
> > *accept* closed-source and custom installer.
>
> If you're ready to accept a bad solution you'll hardly ever get the good
> one, and in this case never since it is near to impossible (for
> technical reasons) to have good and/or complete Free Software drivers
> for NVIDIA cards at the moment.

The drivers are free, they are just not open source. The problem with a lot of
video cards is that the video card companies tend to license technology from
3rd parties and include that in their cards. So of these licenses are fairly
restrictive and don't allow the companies to release information on the
technology used, even under NDA.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--