Problems with Fedora PHP and Apache

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Mon May 17 19:10:31 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Maybe I should sent them a mail suggesting they update their warning:
>
> "Don't use Apache 2 with PHP.  It's not ready for production use, just
> good enough for mirroring our content."

So you think the PHP people should force their mirror sites to use what
they want them to use?  If I run a Microsoft/IIS box, should I not be
allowed to mirror the site?

> Again, if they feel the need, suggesting Apache 1.x is fine.  Spreading
> FUD about Apache 2.x just makes them come of looking childish.
> Specifically, a quote from the post you mentioned earlier:
> "That's the essence of our reccomendation to stick with the Apache1
> codebase we know well until such a time that Apache2 actually delivers
> substantial enough features to warrant the effort it is going to take to
> hammer it into a production-quality environment."
>
> This has nothing to do with the techincal facts, they just have an ax to
> grind against Apache 2.

You seem to think it's a conspiracy...that the PHP group has something
to gain by recommending one version of Apache over another.  Again, it's
not PHP itself that has issues with the multi-threading of Apache 2.
It's some of the third party applications included with PHP.  PHP works
with Apache 2.  They recommend that you don't use it in a production
enviroment.  They explain why.  Where is the FUD?  The only FUD I saw
was someone from Red Hat stating that the some PHP users were spreading
FUD.  He failed to mention that these 'users' are the people who create
PHP, and he didn't back up his statement with any facts as to why he's
right, and they're wrong.  I'm starting to believe that someone does
have an ax to grind, but it's not the PHP people.

--
John C. Nichel
KegWorks.com
john at kegworks.com