Problems with Fedora PHP and Apache

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 17 20:20:25 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>John Nichel said:
>

>>William Hooper wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe I should sent them a mail suggesting they update their warning:
>>>
>>>"Don't use Apache 2 with PHP.  It's not ready for production use, just
>>>good enough for mirroring our content."
>>>

>>So you think the PHP people should force their mirror sites to use what
>>they want them to use?  If I run a Microsoft/IIS box, should I not be
>>allowed to mirror the site?
>>

>It has nothing to do with forcing anyone to run anything.  It is evidence
>that Apache 2 and PHP work just fine in a production environment.  Had
>there been a warning against using a Microsoft web server while part of
>the official mirror pool is running IIS then it would be just as bad.

WAAAAHHHHHH!

If I am producing a product, and I have found it to be stable in certain
conditions but unstable in others I would *ALWAYS* warn potential users
of the problems I noted, and would recommend thay stick with the known
stable configuration in situations where performance is critical
(production servers).

This is not to say that I would not work on fixing the problem, but it
is to say that anyone choosing to use it under the conditions in which I
saw instability would be doing so at their own risk.

As I said in an earlier post, PHP developers do not control what
environment is running on the mirror sites.  As someone else noted,
mirror sites are prevented from modifying content.  It is in no way
hypocritical for you to see one mirror site that is successfully using
the "unstable" combination of software and mirroring the content of PHP.

Quit whining about perceived problems and look at the facts.
The PHP *official* site is not using Apache2 with PHP.  It may even be
that the mirror sites you have seen are acting as a beta test site for
use in production as the developers try to resolve the issues that
initially caused the warning.

IIRC the warning was that it is not recommended to use PHP and Apache2
in production.  Do you know if the mirror sites are running without
problem?  or is it just that you have not /seen/ any of their problems?
 How can you test a product without putting it into the environment to
be testes?

Get real and look at all the details and please just comment on facts,
not exagerated perceptions that may/may not be accurate. (In this case,
not, since you are talking about mirror sites and not the official site.)