fc2 or not, that is the question...

Mike Bartman omni at omniphile.com
Mon May 17 20:39:26 UTC 2004

At 12:09 PM 5/15/04 -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>production environments, hell my employer still runs openvms. some people
>what everything to be new and fresh and wonderful all of the time, some
>people want stuff to never change.

Ummm...OpenVMS isn't old...it's still being actively maintained and
developed.  HP owns it these days...second largest computer company on the
planet (and only 2nd by a slight margin).  OpenVMS 8.0 was booted on an
Itanium processor a few months back, and will be out for general use before
much longer.  Developers have it now.  The current version still runs on
AXP and VAX just fine (7.3).  For those who want a secure OS with good
features, it's still a valid choice.

3rd party apps are also still being developed and sold.  The company I work
for does that for instance...we have a new release of one of our products
in beta test now.  (not mentioning it here, as that might be seen as
advertising...if you are incurably curious, ask me off list...it's a TCP/IP
stack if that helps any).

Some people just want stuff to work...

-- Mike Bartman
"In the representative system, the reason for everything must publicly
appear. Every man is a proprietor in government, and considers it a
necessary part of his business to understand.  It concerns his interest
because it affects his property.  He examines the cost, and compares it
with the advantages; and above all, he does not adopt the slavish custom of
following what in other governments are called 'leaders'."

				-- Tom Paine, _Rights of Man_ (1791-92)