USB Flash stick

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon May 17 20:48:21 UTC 2004

Coume - Lubox.com wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 19:03, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>The problem was that I hadn't even mounted the stick yet.  This
>>happened the very first time that I plugged the stick in.
>>
>>I played with autofs and the stick would mount some times and then
>>others it wouldn't.  I just gave up as I needed to get some work done.
>>
>>I will check out your site though.  I would like autofs to work.
>>
>>I think it may have something to do with changing usb devices.
>>
>>When time permits I will take another look at it.
>

> Hi Robin!
>
> I experienced your problem for more than one year. I was the only one
> using linux on my laptop at uni and the only usb key which was working
> was mine, but it took me almost 2 months to understand how to get it to
> work each time I want it to work....
>
> Ok, then what is my solution to mount all the key I tried to use till
> now...
> First of all, forget about the automount. once I decided to do it by
> command line, it evrything started to be much more easier.
>
> Basically, there are 2 kinds of keys, the ones that will mount as
> /dev/sda and the ones that will mount as /dev/sda1
> Basically, if you get the error:
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
>
> Try to mount the key as /dev/sda and it should work...
> don't ask me why, but ... it's like that. When I asked others persons
> before they all tell me that /dev/sda should not be used to mount an usb
> key, but it proved to work for me.
> Thxs to this stupid mount /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 I managed to use all the
> usb keys I came accross...
>
> One info, it's seem that /dev/sda has to be used in presence of USB 2.0
> device.
>
> Ok, that's my 2 euro Cents.... I hope that it will help you and if not
> sorry for this long and useless email :D
>
> Ludo
>
> btw, in gnome, there is the ability to add "disk icon" to mount them. I
> have one set up for /dev/sda and one /dev/sda1... when one do not work,
> I use the the other one...

I will don't use my desktop icons enough to worry about it.

I just use the mount tool when I need it.  It works quickly and I am
happy for now.

I have received a reply that in FC2, support is much better.  I will
wait a few weeks before seting FC2.  I have to ensure certain
applications are available.

On the first day, I spent a few hours working with autofs to try and
get the automount to work.  It was okay for a short number of tests.
Next time it didn't work.

One of the people at work sent a script around and it has worked once
or twice.

--
Robin Laing