FC2 BitTorrent URL's

Paul D. Brown pdb at pdb.homelinux.net
Tue May 18 03:39:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 21:44, Scott Burns wrote:
> Gotta agree here.  I can install bittorrent easily, it's the configuring
> 120 open ports on my ADSL modem that's the real killer.  Anyone know a
> legitimate reason why so many are needed, apart from letting Eugen be smug?

Quoting from the bittorrent FAQ at http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html
(no doubt elsewhere as well):
Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of
6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to
6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The
client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries
higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that
the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc.
Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous
BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's
sufficient to open 6881-6889.

Paul