True Plug-n-Play Concept

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Tue May 18 06:08:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:52:40 -0400
fenix at theopencd.net wrote:

>  The Solution
> ==============
> Concept: Driver must reside inside the hardware on ROM chip.

You might want to compare how your idea stacks up against the
I2O standard (that's already supported in the 2.6 kernel) which
puts all the device specific driver parts inside the hardware.

>From the 2.6 build system:

 The Intelligent Input/Output (I2O) architecture allows hardware
 drivers to be split into two parts: an operating system specific
 module called the OSM and an hardware specific module called the
 HDM. The OSM can talk to a whole range of HDM's, and ideally the
 HDM's are not OS dependent. This allows for the same HDM driver to
 be used under different operating systems if the relevant OSM is in
 place. In order for this to work, you need to have an I2O interface
 adapter card in your computer. This card contains a special I/O
 processor (IOP), thus allowing high speeds since the CPU does not
 have to deal with I/O.

Also a lot of information on the web.. like:

http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/I/I2O.html

Cheers,
Sean.