Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue May 18 18:55:39 UTC 2004

At 12:20 5/18/2004, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
>On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:36:53 -0600
>"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
> >          1. I got a nice machine (Athlon XP 2200+, 256MB, 40GB, eth,
> modem,
> > cd, GeForce MX 400, 19" LG 900B monitor, UPS) for $400 from a friend
>
>You had to decide for yourself if the immediate cost saving
>outweighed the downside of going with a closed-source provider.

I had no money for anything else at that time. No computer, or that
computer. Tough choice, eh?

> >          4. I will now happily use this *working* system to do work,
> > including promote Linux as fully-functional and as-good-or-better than
> > Windows for my office. I will use it in many other ways beneficial to my
> > happiness, my pocketbook, and the Open Source movement.
>
>but you don't disagree with the underlying economic principles do you?

Hell, no.

>But in an ideal situation you would
>get to promote the open source movement with open source software
>instead of closed source software right ?

Hell, yes.

>Sure.   but a better sollution would be if the hardware manufacturer
>provided a open source driver and that's what my comments were
>about.   Purchasing hardware from them anyway, rewards them
>for closed source offerings.

Agreed, when you have that choice. When getting free or second-hand stuff
(donations to charity or low-income schools is another example, and I
handle quite a bit of that), you sometimes have to take what is given to
you. Then the first thing is to make it work. The second thing is how to
make it work better in the future, and I also agree that in the long run
open-source will be better. Of course any little thing each of us can do to
test it, use it, improve it, and promote it will make "better" arrive
sooner... just that in the meantime, I am not going to (for example) leave
a small school without computers because someone donated hardware without
open-source drivers.

> >          6. I have already complained loudly to NVIDIA about their drivers
> > being closed. I have made it clear that this *will* be major factor in
> > future purchases.
>
>Nothing is louder than dollar votes :o)

Exactly my point.

>Not suggesting zealotry.   Just talking about leveraging market principles for
>something we both agree is a desired outcome.

Certainly what *you* posted here is not zealotry... however, back up a day
or two for my entertaining little spat with Rui, who claims NVIDIA cheats
me, treats me like a criminal, and imposes outrageous conditions on their
license. And that was the reasonable part of his discussion.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com