yum, bittorrent port configuration

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue May 18 20:59:33 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Bittorrent Newbie question:
>
> In order to start using Bittorrent from scratch (yum), is this all I
> need to do:
>
> # yum install bittorrent
>
> followed by:
>
> # btdownloadcurses.py --max_upload_rate 350 --url
> http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/tettnang-binary-i386-iso.torrent
>
> I keep reading about "opening ports" but when I run
> redhat-config-securitylevel there are no port numbers there.
>
> I've read the Bittorrent FAQ and I know which ports are wanted, but I do
> not see how to do this in FC1.
>
> The file /etc/sysconfig/iptables warns me against manual configuration
> and asks me to look at redhat-config-securitylevel.
>
> I s'pose I'm asking for some hand-holding, but I've got to admit I'm
> hesitant about experimenting with the security level (since I *know*
> that I don't know what I'm doing!).
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

I may have figured it out: I tried it out using just the two commands
above, and -- it took a few minutes to get fired up -- it's dl'ing now
at what appears to be ~12Kb/sec, and uploads at around 15Kb/sec.

It looks like it's working.... but where are these 200Kb/sec downloads I
keep reading about?

Clint