Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Tue May 18 21:18:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
"Luc Bouchard" <luc at luker.on.ca> wrote:

> Sean Estabrooks said:
> > So, to the question of how to promote more open source adoption.
> > It seems to be well accepted that the market place _rules_ and every dollar
> > spent is a vote.   Being simplistic then, the more "votes" that companies
> > get because they support open source (intel seems to be a pretty good actor
> > these days for example)  the better.    The fewer "votes" that companies
> > who don't support open source get (NVIDIA in this case) the better.
> >
> You are forgetting one thing here Sean, economies of scale.  Let's assume that NVIDIA

Not forgotten.  You're right of course, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help
if everyone who benefits from open source made an effort to support
open source companies.   It would be enough to allow some company to
carve out a niche market for itself and survive.    IBM or Intel might be more
motivated to make a real contribution in this regard if people seemed a
little more willing to stand up for open source principles.

> But I will keep using everything I can to have a workable machine at home
> as a linux desktop.

My point is just that your attitude is very prevelent and therefore there's no hope
of making much of a real market even for a niche player.   ATI for example
has really backed off of open source and it may be because Nvidia got just as
 much Linux business without doing the same (this is a complete guess)

Just wish fewer people felt so compelled to support closed source companies.
While understandable, it's really a shame.

Cheers,
Sean.