need help installing java in core-1

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Wed May 19 08:48:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 18:07, russell wrote:
> After following Thomas Chungs guide to installing jave
> [http://fedoranews.org/tchung/sunjava/], I find that java is not working
> on my system.  Clearly something is missing.  I'm guessing that somehow
> the paths aren't right at the least.  I encounter |java: command not
> found | when using bash.  The Mozilla plug-in is also not working.  I've
> tried GooGling for help, but my results more or less advocate what is in
> T. Chungs guide.
>
> Any help or tips on where to look for help would be most appreciative.

I have used Sun's JDK with FC1 for 6 months. Apart from making sure you
pick the correct plugin up for Mozilla, it was straightforward.

I did not use Thomas' procedure, but looking at it, there is a step
where he sets up a global PATH setting to the newly installed JRE. This
would require restarting of any shells before it is effective, and can
be checked by typing "echo $PATH". There should be a path to
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/bin

You may also want to check you can navigate to the directory above as a
normal user, to make sure permissions are okay.

Try this and see how you go.

Cheers, Ben