bittorrent limit download rate

Ryan newsletter at mastreno.com
Wed May 19 09:55:21 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 03:25 am, robin-lists at robinbowes.com wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
> > I should also have added -- if you're on a cablemodem at least, the
> > bad behaviours are coming from topping out your UPSTREAM, not your
> > download. Many clients, like the great but bloated Azureus allow you
> > to limit your upstream usage for this very reason and so may solve
> > your problem.
>
> I can confirm this. I am on a cable connection with 600k upload and 128k
> download. If I don't restrict the upload rate I can't use the web at all
> whilst bittorrent is running. So, I limit the upload to 4k. Remember, it's
> 128k *bits* /s and the upload limit is in k *bytes* / s. 128k bits /s = 16k
> bytes /s.
>
> R.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have dsl with 640K Up/640K Down.  I tried
adjusting the upload limit but it didn't seem to help.  I hoped I was just
missing the option with bittorrent to limit the download rate.  I have now
moved the existing partial file to another machine where I can limit the
bandwidth for that machine.

Thanks,
 - Ryan