Hard disc spins down during reboot

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Wed May 19 11:32:26 UTC 2004

When I reboot FC2, my IDE hard disc spins down, only to spin up again
shortly afterwards.

However, my new serial ATA disc does not spin down.

I don't think any drives should spin down for a reboot as this is simply
increasing wear and tear.

Also, does the fact that the SATA drive behaves differently also mean that
it isn't spinning down before poweroff? In that case, it must be relying on
the drive's automatic parking feature.

I've noticed that ACPI is now controlling the poweroff sequence. Where is
this configured? I couldn't find any clues by looking at the shutdown
scripts.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan