FC1 + Kernel 2.6.6 boot problem

Vernon A. Fort vfort at provident-solutions.com
Wed May 19 12:12:23 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Mi, den 19.05.2004 schrieb K.M.Zammi Kahan um 06:25:
>

>>Hi, I'm running FC1 on my custom made pc and it's working perfectly with FC1 default kernel.
>>When I installed kernel 2.6.6 and try to reboot the pc with kernel 2.6.6 after some point ( ..... freeing
>>kernel memory ...etc) boot process hangs. My pc's configuration is Intel PIV 1.8 GHz processor,
>>Gigabyte GA-8VM533-P motherboard, Maxtor hard disk etc. Is this something related to my motherboard?
>>( I can see some warning related to bios in the 2.6.6 boot screen). Is there any workaround to boot my
>>pc in kernel 2.6.6
>>
>>Rgds,
>>Zammi
>>

>Without a precise error message it is hard to guess what's happening.
>You may have forgotten to compile something into the kernel or the
>initial ramdisk image is bad or something else. Write down the exact
>failure messages on bootup.
>
>Alexander

I experienced the exact same problem with a Dell PowerEdge 1750 (single
Xeon processor).  It stopped at "Freeing unused kernel memory" and
normally the next line would be the INIT.  I could still hit
CRTL-ALT-DEL and the system would reboot.  I tried everything (building
the scsi and fs modules in the kernel) but changing the Processor Type.
I just installed FC2 on the same box and it worked but looking a the
kernel source, the processor type is a Pentium-Pro, not the
Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/Xeon type.  It appears to be
runninig fine - change the processor to Pentium-Pro and see if this works.

Vernon