FC1 + Kernel 2.6.6 boot problem

Gary Waters gwaters at rci-enr.net
Wed May 19 12:23:22 UTC 2004

> I experienced the exact same problem with a Dell PowerEdge 1750 (single
> Xeon processor).  It stopped at "Freeing unused kernel memory" and
> normally the next line would be the INIT.

That's precisely the same problem I encountered when I tried to install
2.6. It also hangs at "Freeing unused kernel memory."

I also get this error msg when installing:

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such file or directory
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Command failed

I found some info, such as here:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-December/msg01117.html

I am, however, reluctant to try anything due to my lack of knowledge of
Linux. In the interim I found that the latest 2.4 kernel also
intermittently hangs on my system.

Gary