Fedora Core 2 and EPIA M 10000 Motherboard Fails to boot from Rescue CD

David Woakes david at mitredata.co.uk
Wed May 19 12:58:30 UTC 2004

I created a FC2 rescue disk and tried to boot from it.  It shows the
splash screen (badly, some text missing, but I have the same issue with
FC1 install disks).  I hit return (out of hope!) and it seemed to load
the kernel only to reboot immediately.

I had earlier installed the 2.6 Kernel in the test area FC1 and had the
same issue (immediate reboot).

Any ideas on things to try ?  I'm thinking to try creating a custom 2.6
kernel to see if I can figure out the issue...

I've seen this sort of thing in the past and it usually relates to
booting a kernel built for a different processor.  I had tried using an
Epia board with an Eden 633 Mhz processor with an i686 kernel and that
rebooted like this but switching to an i586 solved this problem
(although I then had a hang later on after freeing Kernel memory which I
never resolved).

For now no upgrade to FC2 :(

regards
David