FC1 and 3c59xx...not cooperating.

Benjamin C. Wagner ben at wagners.homeip.net
Wed May 19 13:16:46 UTC 2004

Had a 7.3 server critial crash 2 weeks ago..so I bought a new barebones
system keeping what I had...2 3com NICS.  Decided to give Debian a try on
system and everything ran fine...cept had major headache trying to
configure.  Jumped back to FC1 and installed and configured
easily....except I am having NIC troubles.  LogWatch shows:

WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
   eth1: Host error, FIFO diagnostic...:  2Time(s)
   eth1: PCI bus error, bus status 008b...:  1Time(s)
   eth1: PCI bus error, bus status 00a0...:  1Time(s)
   eth1: Transmit error, Tx status regis...:  31Time(s)

ifup eth0 or eth1 (the nics) brings up a buch of hex and such that I don't
understand (and don't have ability to clip right now).  ifdown stops.
Onboard eth2 on system works well.  Both NICS worked fine in old box and
in debian trial on new box.

Ideas?
Ben Wagner
wagners.homeip.net