Xfce and FC2 (installs, but not fully functional?)

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 13:37:28 UTC 2004

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> how am i supposed to install Xfce in FC2? (without installing everything)
>
> i haven't spotted it in Anaconda using "custom" install, neither in
> system-config-packages, so the only option is to install from command
> line with rpm or yum, but this option is flawed because Xfce is composed
> from several rpm packages, some of them optional and i have no means to
> determine *without manual search* what packages i really need, what are
> their names or even on what CD are located

I copied all the xfce*.rpm files from CD4 to a directory and did an rpm
-Uvh *.rpm to install XFce.  It installed fine and it now appears in the
session menu.

However, when I run it, I get a message window that says:
"Your window manager does not seem to support the new window manager
hints as defined on http:/www.freedesktop.org.  Some XFce features may
not work as intended."

When I close it, the panels appear but I have a continuous hourglass
cursor.  The cursor will open windows when clicking on icons, but
obviously I'm missing something.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Gerry Tool