Fedora Core 2 and EPIA M 10000 Motherboard Fails to boot from Rescue CD

David Woakes david at mitredata.co.uk
Wed May 19 13:48:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 13:58, David Woakes wrote:

 >> I created a FC2 rescue disk and tried to boot from it.  It shows the
 >> splash screen (badly, some text missing, but I have the same issue with
 >> FC1 install disks).  I hit return (out of hope!) and it seemed to load
 >> the kernel only to reboot immediately.
 >>
 >> I had earlier installed the 2.6 Kernel in the test area FC1 and had the
 >> same issue (immediate reboot).
 >>
 >> Any ideas on things to try ?  I'm thinking to try creating a custom 2.6
 >> kernel to see if I can figure out the issue...
 >>
 >> I've seen this sort of thing in the past and it usually relates to
 >> booting a kernel built for a different processor.  I had tried using an
 >> Epia board with an Eden 633 Mhz processor with an i686 kernel and that
 >> rebooted like this but switching to an i586 solved this problem
 >> (although I then had a hang later on after freeing Kernel memory
which I
 >> never resolved).

As long as the 586 is getting installed, then it should be ok.
The 586 kernel is compiled with -march=i586

	Dave

OK, but why is the Epia M10000 Neremiah which boots both i586 and i686
compiled 2.4 kernels rebooting (like the other Epia error reported
earlier cleanly with no panic or error message) when trying to boot up
the Core 2 Rescue CD and the 2.6 kernel (i586 compiled version) ?

Sounds like a problem with Epias and the 2.6 kernel.

David