follow on to fedora-test list: winxp/fc2 data

fedora fedora at packetstorm.org
Wed May 19 14:40:50 UTC 2004

Information data for the devs (im still rebuilding so ill try bugtracker
later).

There was a series of threads on the test list regarding issues with
dual booting. I didnt have that problem but I did have a strange error
among other things.

System
Intel P4 2.2 GHZ
1GB Ram
Maxtor 60GB IDE (6E040L0)
Maxtor 40GB IDE (6Y060L0)
Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller
ASUS P4B ACPI Bios Rev 1010

During the install I got the following warning, i could have cancelled
but figured what-the-heck if I cant take a joke...

"Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that another
partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table because it
didnt have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignor, but ignoring
may cause (fixable) problems with some boot loaders."

So I crossed my fingers (ok i also had backups) and hit ignore. The rest
of the install went fine.

After rebooting though GRUB identifies the parition that XP is on as
OTHER. I used to think this was identified as NTFS or something akin to
it.

Anyhow maybe this will help point the cause.

Regards,
Greg