..:: [ FC2 ] ::.. NON-CRITICAL config question.

Prasanth Kumar lunix at comcast.net
Wed May 19 15:28:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 11:06 -0400, John Courie II wrote:
> Hey all, My name is john and I am brand new to linux. I can count the
> hours booted into linux in my fingers, but I got sold on the F/OSS ideal
> and I am going to make this work.
>
> I installed FC2 last night and when it resolves my hostname through eth0
> it is some long ass nonsense that it gets dynamiclly from COMCAST.
>
> I want to change that to be a name I pick
>
> I looked through the BASH manual and through a few orielly books on tcpip,
> I googled and looked through some n00b forums, no luck...
>
> How do I configure my system to have a custom name that shows up on the
> prompt while still accepting and using the dynamic IP sent from comcast?
>
> I understand that there are considerably more critical issues that need to
> be adressed but I suspect that this question is trivial to many of you and
> can be anwsered easily.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --

Go to Network Configuration:DNS:Hostname. Note that this only controls
the name on your local computer. On other computers you will need to use
the official registered name from Comcast of the IP address to refer to
this computer. You can also use one of the Dynamic DNS providers
available to officially register a name for you but it wont be in the
Comcast domain name.

--
Regards,
Prasanth