Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed May 19 17:26:52 UTC 2004

Rui Miguel Seabra said:
> On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 12:07 -0500, Elliott Wilcoxon wrote:
>> And yet, they don't run 3d as fast as ATI's closed source drivers.
>> Admittedly, ATI's better in supporting open source than Nvidia, but
>> they aren't perfect either.
>
> I think that the performance question isn't really about wether they're
> the fastest but if it's fast enough.
>
> But ATI is nearly as bad as NVIDIA, yes.

which is kind of a shame about nvidia since their entire development farm
consists of about 3000+ linux boxen.

did you know that nvidia doesn't produce the chips?  they just design them
and emulate them on their huge farm, and then outsource the fabrication.
i interviewed with them last year and found that out.

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991