ISP and SMTP Authentication

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 19 21:42:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:03:11PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mo, den 17.05.2004 schrieb Lucas, David um 19:56:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone knows how to configure Sendmail to authenticate to
> > my ISP to send mail??  My ISP has recently blocked everyone from relaying
> > mail on their SMTP server to authenticated users, which in turn made my mail
> > server not work very well.  So, any help that you could give me would
> > greatly be appreciated.
>
> > Dave
>
> Pretty easy. Edit your /etc/mail/access file to contain a line
>
> AuthInfo:smtp.your-isp.tld "U:your_username" "P:your_password" "M:PLAIN"
>
> in this example taking PLAIN is a valid authentification mechanism with
> your ISP's host. Make sure that the access / access.db files are not
> world readable, containing that auth data.
>
> If you do prefer to use a separate file, then activate
> FEATURE(`authinfo') in your sendmail.mc and create a map file authinfo
> with the corresponding data. See
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-812.html#812AUTH
>
> for further notes.

Your ISP should have given you instruction how to connect netscape
mail to their SMTP server.

The same information is needed for sendmail to authenticate itself and
send mail out.

The authentication info commonly goes in  /etc/mail/authinfo
In sendmail.mc I have lines like:
   dnl # with authentication the following two lines
   define(`SMART_HOST',`esmtp:[smtp.goober.isp.com]')
   FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash -o /etc/mail/authinfo.db')dnl

and in /etc/mail/authinfo is the authentication info.
   AuthInfo:isp.com "U:bigbob at isp.com" "P:MagicWord" "M:PLAIN"
   AuthInfo: "U:bigbob at isp.com" "P:MagicWord" "M:PLAIN"

If you google search for /etc/mail/authinfo.db authinfo FEATURE sendmail
you will find more.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l