FC2 + ATI Rage - anyone successully running this?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu May 20 10:29:32 UTC 2004

I've upgraded from FC1 to FC2 on my Sony C1VFK laptop/notebook.
Everything works fine except the X server
for the ATI 3D Rage P/M video controller.
(I get a large blue oval on the screen,
which gradually disappears, leaving a bright but blank screen.)

X is running OK, as I can see the display on another machine.
(I'm currently running knode on the "bad" machine
after ssh-ing in from another identical laptop running FC1.)
So I take it the problem lies with the "ati" X server.

Is there a more basic VGA server which I could substitute?

I tried going back to the FC! XFree86 program,
but that didn't work - there were library incompatibilities, I think.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366