Fc2 is damn slow :(

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Thu May 20 13:43:17 UTC 2004

this problem reminds me of what i have on my system (my current FC2 seems to be
ok), and that was the application that was checking the CD (magicdev in Gnome,
autorun in KDE) was interfering with my disk I/O, causing large applications
(OO, mozilla) to take forever to come up.

As i just installed FC2 last night, it appears to be fixed, i would
cautiously add. So perhaps i'm suggesting the wrong test. But the test
would be to kill autorun or magicdev, and open mozilla again.

Another test is (as root) to check the performance of the HD, e.g.

	hdparm -t /dev/hda

in the 'bad' mode i got consistently varying (and low) numbers, like
8-13 MB/sec. That may not look all that bad, if the default is
more like 22-25, but it made a big impact on my performance.

peter