Hard drive partition lost??

stevew at aui.com stevew at aui.com
Thu May 20 16:25:43 UTC 2004

I am running FC1, with a maxtor 160GB HD installed.  I had just finished
moving data from an older HD that was making some funny sounds and throwing
some random errors. All was well.  Last night we lost power for several hours
and 1 machines UPS/shutdown system didn't power down the workstation. The
other 7 in our office did fine.  The power was out for several hours.
Anyway, I now have an unbootable partition with quite bit of unbacked up data
on it I am trying to recover.  In the past, whenever we would have a disk
problem I was always able to recover with tomsrt, e2fsck etc.  Sometimes it
took a little while, but I can't even get started on this one.  During the
booting of the machine it throws the following errors:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=90895772, high=5,
low=7009692, sector=0
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 0
... repeats 10 time
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

I have commented the particular partition out of the fstab file so it isn't
even trying to mount it. When trying to mount it manually I get the usual:

steve]# mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /data
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda3,
       or too many mounted file systems

e2fsck yields the following:
steve]# /sbin/e2fsck /dev/hda3
e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
/sbin/e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while trying to open /dev/hda3
Could this be a zero-length partition?

We were set for the disk to mirror to another machine at 3 AM.  It never made
it.  I really need to get to the data if at all possible.  Any suggestions
would be much appreciated.

Steve