nvidia and FC2

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu May 20 19:12:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:49:06 -0700
Aaron Matteson <fedora at cryptosystem.us> wrote:

> FOSS Zealotry at its finest..
>
> I might suggest you help out this poor underappreciated community by
> writing drivers for these cards so we might all be better off.

You miss the point.    They don't promote open standards and they don't
provide enough documentation to the people who buy their products
in order to create open source drivers.

It would be better if Linux users didn't buy closed-source hardware.   It
would  be better if people demanded open-source solutions.    We're
not there yet and we have to live in the real world but  you should step
back and think about what Linux is and how it came to be.   Supporting
companies that only provide closed-source drivers may very well
undermine the future of a completely free (as in speech) Linux.

I understand the arguments of practicality.   But lets not pretend this is
the desired situation.

> It is their charity, they are under no obligation to support linux.
> Arguably linux isn't even a desktop contender yet.

Yeah, they do it for charity :o)

> I think you need to take a step back and reevaluate your position. The
> world doesn't owe you a living and nvidia doesn't owe the FOSS drivers.
> The problems with their drivers will be fixed soon, they are fairly
> responsive with problems like these.

Perhaps you don't respect the goals of  Open Source but nobody is demanding
anything  from Nvidia.   They are free to do whatever they want.    Just would
be nice if the Nvidia zealots realized how the FOSS operating system they're
using came into existence and cared enough to demand and support more
open source solutions.

Cheers,
Sean.