Automount External USB HD in FC2

Giorgos Papamarkos kaizer_soze_gp at yahoo.gr
Thu May 20 20:04:37 UTC 2004

Hi there,
    I've seen that this problem in quite common in list so I think that
someone must have solve it
already.
   I have an external USB Disk and I want to be mounted automatically by
the system.
I added a new description in '/etc/updfstab' and once I plug the disk
the fstab is updated with a
new line, and a new icon representing the disk appears in Computer link
in GNOME 2.6 (I use fedora core
2). The think is that :
The disk is not mounted automatically and I cannot mount it as a simple
user but only as root.
My digital camera (Sony P32), on the other hand, is detected and mounted
automatically with the right
permissions. Why isn't the same happens for the disk ? Doesn't both use
the 'usb-storage' ? What's the
prob. ?

The other think is that when I have plugged in both my camera and the
disk, the fstab is not updated
as appropriate for the disk (but camera still works perfectly). I think
that this has to do with the 'partition' parameter in the description in
'updfstab' (I have both set to 1) but I cannot see any other option
expect 'partition 1' since both devices are assigned to /dev/sda1 and
/dev/sdb1 respectively.
Reading manual page of updfstab didn't help more.

Has anyone solve this problem ? I'd appriciate any help.

Regards,

George