Secure entry into remote systems

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 20 21:05:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:45:02AM -0400, duncan brown wrote:
> Tom Needs A Hat Mitchell said:
>
> > DynDNS costs money small as it is and you still have to script the
> > discovery of the DHCP assigned address.  Since you have to do that
> > anyhow there is no reason you cannot simply update a resource you own
> > via ftp, scp, email, what ever.  Heck a simple wget from a periodic cron
> > job of a small special file name on your web site will log the ipaddress
> > that you need to ssh into the box.  The file does not need to exist.
>
> dyndns is free for dynamic ips, you can have 5 on an account.

Since $0.00 is small we do agree.
  http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

   "The Dynamic DNSSM service allows you to alias a dynamic IP address
   to a static hostname in any of the many domains we offer, allowing
   your computer to be more easily accessed from various locations on
   the Internet. We provide this service, for up to five (5)
   hostnames, free to the Internet community.

The larger prices involve domain and host names outside of the domains
that dyndns controls.  Also, I suspect that the initial poster has more
than five boxes to keep track of.  Still cheep....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l