NIS problems with FC2

Mike Cooper Mike.Cooper at reshape.com
Thu May 20 21:54:28 UTC 2004

I'm having trouble with FC2 NIS clients (all are X86/IA32) not being
able to bind/find a NIS server if the FC2 client is set to "broadcast" via

	domain reshape.com broadcast

in /etc/yp.conf

Apparantly ypbind never finds a server, even though there are 2 on the
same subnet.  I ran ypbind -debug and it seems to get RPC timeouts when
it broadcasts for a server.  A "ypwhich" command fails after about 90
seconds since ypbind eventually exists once it can't find a server.

My RHL 7.2 - 9 clients have no trouble with the same yp.conf config.

The NIS servers are both Solaris 8 with Sun's stock NIS ypserv.

If I change yp.conf to be

	ypserver 10.X.X.X1
	ypserver 10.X.X.X2

It does bind, but *very* slowly.  NIS lookup is extremely slow.  If not
for nscd, it would make the whole system unusably slow.

And yes, I know that "broadcast" isn't the safest thing in the world,
but it's right for this environment.

Anybody have any clues on this?

	mike