cpu running half speed on FC2

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu May 20 22:17:36 UTC 2004

Bryan J. Field wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I updated my (old) laptop from FC1 to FC2 yesterday and after the usual
> problems with the pcmcia cards and networking, I've noticed something
> strange.
>
> I monitor my CPU and ethernet usage with gkrellm and I've noticed that
> my computer is running at about half the speed it should and the clock
> is running at about twice the speed it should.
>
> The laptop is a IBM Thinkpad i1412 with 512MB Ram and a 366 MHz Celeron.
> gkrellm says its running at 182 MHz. I've added the acpid and enabled it
> in the grub.conf with acpi=on. The battery monitor doesn't work either,
> and it used to in FC1.
>
> I've poked around a little, but my ACPI knowledge is limited. I've
> noticed that my /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/ directory has no
> sub-directories. I gather this is because I doubt this hardware supports
> this kind of thing.
>
> Any suggestions? 366MHz was just usable for what I do, but 182MHz is
> unacceptable.

[root at ibmlaptop sys]# cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
[root at ibmlaptop cpufreq]# ls
cpuinfo_max_freq  scaling_available_frequencies  scaling_driver
scaling_max_freq  scaling_setspeed
cpuinfo_min_freq  scaling_available_governors    scaling_governor
scaling_min_freq
[root at ibmlaptop cpufreq]# cat scaling_driver
centrino
[root at ibmlaptop cpufreq]# cat scaling_governor
userspace
[root at ibmlaptop cpufreq]# cat scaling_available_frequencies
1600000 1400000 1200000 1000000 800000 600000

My 1.6GHz Pentium M based IBM Thinkpad T41 runs at the minimum 600MHz
most of the time because the processor is mostly idle.  The cpuspeed
service monitors CPU usage, and kicks it up to the higher levels if it
is needed.  If I am building something large on my laptop, cpuspeed
kicks it up to 1.6GHz.  My battery gets eaten much faster, temperatures
rise, and the fan blows at full speed.

If you really don't want cpuspeed to manage your processor, you can
disable it with:
service cpuspeed stop
chkconfig cpuspeed off

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Use this to verify your current speed and processor features.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com