Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

Davy Brion ralinx at pandora.be
Thu May 20 22:32:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:50, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> >i know most of us dislike microsoft, but as much as we dislike them, you
> >have to give them credit for making things easy for _normal_ users.
> >

> and for viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, addware, ...

providing the necessary tools so users don't need to edit config files
does not mean opening the door for viri, worms, trojans, spyware,
addware

> >if your argument is 'we shouldn't do this just because microsoft does
> >it' then you shouldn't be arguing about how an operating system should
> >work in the first place.
> >

> good bye security.

again, improving the user experience does not necessarily mean
neglecting security.

> > For a lot of users, microsoft does a good job
> >in making things easy and simple...
> >

> especially for virus-writers,
> but surely not for admins.

well since you love repeating the virus thing so much... could you
please explain me how the hell providing better graphical tools leads to
more viri?

and as for being admin-friendly... people who know how to edit config
files could keep editing config files... most of the graphical config
tools that fedora provides have no problem whatsoever with manual
editing of config files so there's no reason _at all_ why this would
suddenly change.

> wake up and see what microsoft had produced in the last 10 years.

perhaps we should wake up and see what we haven't produced in the last
10 years... which would be: a decent part of the desktop market