APIC blues with SMP kernel

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Fri May 21 02:21:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:23:06 +0100
Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 02:28, Andre Costa wrote:
>
> > I am compiling a vanilla kernel as we speak, will try it out during
> > the weekend. However, given the fact that Fedora kernel is supposed
> > to provide superior performance compared to vanilla kernels, I would
> > like to use it instead, if at all possible...
> >
> > So, my questions are:
> >
> > 1. any success stories out there about SMP + Fedora on P4s?
>
> worked fine for me (I've now upgraded my p4 ht to run fc2)

How did it go? I will do that sooner or later, but I guess I'd rather
collect more feedback before I jump into it.

> > 2. any black-magic to use besides 'noapic', 'acpi=ht' and 'apm=off'?
>
> acpi=on ?

Well, I didn't pass this explicitely, but I had already tried booting
without any 'acpi=xxx'. IIRC results were pretty much the same as
'acpi=ht'. I will double check it later.

> > 3. do vanilla kernels work with Fedora just fine (w/ or w/o SMP)?
>
> should do.

Thks, will try it.

Best,

Andre