How to use FTP or set server settings on FC2 ???

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Fri May 21 10:11:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:38, Sarim Bukhari wrote:
> thanks for your help Alexander....i tried to search for vsftpd in the
> server settings....there is list of services and the ones that run on
> RunLevel 3, 4 or 5. Unfortunately i could not find "vstftpd"
>
> Can u help me out ?
May I suggest Sarim, that if you want help, you stop sending HTML
formated email, it is REALLY annoying for the people on this list that
tend to provide the most help.
Check your email client settings and disable it (you can normally do it
on a per message basis).
I would also suggest, that you place YOUR replies at the BOTTOM of the
email (as I am doing). It makes the "conversation" easier to read if
several people are replying.

About your problem. You may not have vsftpd installed on your machine,
go to a command line and type...

$ rpm -qi vsftpd

You are likely to have the below response.
package vsftpd is not installed

So you will need to install the package, to do this you use a program
called "yum", it is similar to apt, and is very useful, I would suggest
you practise using it.

$ su - root
Password:
root]# yum install vsftpd
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: vsftpd 1.2.1-5.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: (enter y here)
Downloading Packages
Getting vsftpd-1.2.1-5.i386.rpm
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
vsftpd 100 % done 1/1
Installed:  vsftpd 1.2.1-5.i386
Transaction(s) Complete

You now have vsftpd installed.

If you check int he services you should now see it listed.

If you want to find files associated with vsftpd type this at the
command line

$rpm -ql vsftpd

It will then give you a nice long list, including the location of config
files.

Hope this helps.

Doug.

P.S. PLEASE try and not to post html messages...