Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Fri May 21 10:50:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 00:33, William Hooper wrote:
> billg said:
> > Isn't the salient point of Windows Update the fact that the updates are
> > always pulled down from a server controlled by Microsoft? The user can't
> > point the update tool willy-nilly at unvetted sites.  That alone is a
> > Good Thing.  The fact that it is packaged as an easy-to-use web page is
> > gratis.
>
> I don't see where keeping them on one page gives any advantage of just
> checking the GPG signature before you install the package (which up2date
> does by default).
>
> > If Linux ever becomes popular enough to warrant attention by the same
> > folks currently targetting Windows, then allowing users to mix-and-match
> > the repositories from which they pull their updates is a wonderful way to
> > spread viruses, worms and all the rest.
>
> Only if the "viruses, worms, and all the rest" are signed by a key you
> trust.  Now if you go importing keys from people that would spread the
> above you have another whole set of problems.
*sigh*

This is getting SO boring...

As far as I am aware, the developer's of yum and apt and looking to try
and get their products/methods to be more compatible, and then I believe
the Synaptic folk will get this gui to work as a wrap around for both
yum and apt.

I am not entirely sure, how long all of this will take, but I'm fairly
certain that is a plan however solid it is I'm not sure.

In all the years that I have been using Microsoft, they have never
provided me with a pre-installed tool that allows me to start installing
stuff off of the web. I have ALWAYS had to go looking, be it tucows or
the software developers web site. It's complete bollox to suggest that
microsoft make installation of software easier in THAT respect.

What they do have, is a manopoly that the majority of people develop for
and as such most (but not all) installs work with most versions of
windows. But even that's not perfect, install/un-install enough apps and
your going to hose your system right royally.

I'm at work, so i can't be bothered to bicker any more, I hope the
comments on yum/apt/synaptec is of help.

Doug