stable Fedora releases?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri May 21 14:44:27 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 21.05.2004 schrieb Jack Howarth um 16:18:

>     Okay, up front I realize that Fedora is a hobbyist release...

"hobbyist" I would not subscribe, but for mainly enthusiastic Linux
desktop users willing to use most recent, leeding edge (not bleeding
edge!) Linux techniques, then I agree.

> but the same could be said of Debian. With that said, is there
> any plan in place for eventually having a benchmark stable Fedora
> release which would be equivalent to the Stable branch of Debian?

"benchmark stable" means what? What kind of benchmarks do you have in
mind? Or do you mean kind of certification for hardware as well for
software (candidates like Oracle and Co.)? If last I doubt, as that was
never intended. In which way is Fedora Core not that stable as Debian
stable (actually woody)? Well, the Debian stable software is centuries
old, if you claim that the price for stability (while the times between
the stable release of Debian is growing, a sign that the project is
getting to its barriers in manageability).

> I ask because it is unclear if one will be able to install a Core
> release and get access to the proper security patches without
> constantly upgrading Fedora to the point of it reverting back to
> a Test release (for the next Core of course). I know in the

That point was just discussed recently here on the list. Security update
packages for the last Core to be expected 2 to 3 month after a new Core
was published. After that period the Fedora Legacy project claims to
support with fixing packages for quite some time.

> academic environment many folks are looking at Fedora as a successor
> to RedHat 9 but I am afraid it is more likely to be a Debian
> Unstable type release at best.

Total disagreement.

>                    Jack

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 16:29:58 up 8 days, 14:14, load average: 1.32, 1.23, 1.24
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]